After my first test in weymouth house I found a problem with the speed of the video being an issue. So today I tested my project again after I changed the video to the original version to see if this would be an improvement. The original video seemed to work better when a face was seen, but due to peoples faces not being recognised from further away it still made it difficult for people to understand what was happening. Without moving the position of the camera I am unaware of how to fix this. Unfortunately moving the camera away from the screen was not possible as it was connected to the screen by a wire.
My predictions for the testing were that when lots of faces are seen, my piece may not work as well, as the video will constantly be playing because of all the faces. As well as this, when there are lots of people around I don’t think people will feel comfortable walking slowly past a screen and interacting with it. During the quieter time I was hoping that people may be more curious to investigate. During testing I compared my predictions to what was actually happening. Due to the faces not being detected very well when not in close proximity, there was no problem with the video constantly playing when there were lots of faces in the room. When the room was busy I did notice that when people were walking through the space they would move quickly instead of dawdle.
Today I went to the weymouth house foyer to do some testing, It was during a busy time of the day(12:45) which mean’t that there were lots of people around to use to test. From testing I have noticed that I need to speed the video up, as I had previously slowed it down as I thought it would work better. After testing I had comments as well as my own judgements to slow the video down and also have the video play continuously and then stop and start again when a face is seen. From this I am going to use the original video in my next testing session tomorrow. I also noticed that when someone walked past they had to be quite close to the camera for it to recognise their face which made it difficult to get people interested in my piece. One way I could have over come this is to move the camera to a different location, further away from the screen but close enough so that people will notice that they are triggering the video.
Today I conducted my first live test of my project in the foyer. From the video below you can see a working test of my project, you can see that when someone is in front of the camera, the video plays beth smile and wave. In my next post I am going to be evaluating the time spent testing.
Tomorrow I will be testing my project in the foyer of Weymouth house. I will be using one of the screens and a webcam to do this as well as plugging my laptop into the screen. I am hoping to go during the peak time so that I can spend roughly an hour there, so I will spend half an hour during peak time and half an hour during a quieter period when the majority are in lectures. I feel that doing this will allow me to see how it works when lots of faces are seen compared to when there are not many being seen. I expect that when lots of faces are seen, my piece may not work as well as the video will constantly be playing because of all the faces. As well as this, when there are lots of people around I don’t think people will feel comfortable walking slowly past a screen and interacting with it. During the quieter time I am hoping that people may be more curious to investigate.